Apple has announced the most awaited operating system of the year, which is none other than iOS7. It is totally different from all the previous versions of iOS. Instead of skeuomorphic design and 3D effects, this time the new iOS has flat design by Sir Jony Ive. We have been hearing a lot of rumors about the features of the new OS, and finally it is unveiled, telling the world the fact that it extremely differs from old operating systems of Apple.
After the departure of Scott Forstall, Jony Ive is the new incharge of Software. He strongly believes that the interface should not look like the objects of the real world. All the particular features of iOS, like the typical design of the Notepad app, or the “slide to unlock” are not a part of the new version of iOS.
Now we’ll take a look at the latest developments in the new release of iOS.
iOS 7 at a Glance:
- Apple has used a new font in iOS 7, which is similar to Helvetica Neue Ultra. Yesterday, in the banner of WWDC, they have given a hint to us that what font they have used in the new OS. The font is clean and a bit skinny as well.
- Now you can know the signal strength of your service provider by five white and grey dots on a translucent screen, instead of black bars on a white background. The color of the dots is to show you the strength of the signals.
- Apple has changed the “slide to unlock” icon in iOS 7, and now you would see translucent “slide to unlock” above the background of your homescreen.
- The icons of default apps are flattered, just as it was predicted.
- You would see a clear change in the notification center of iOS. It also becomes flatter with no more dark grey linen. There is a “today view” that allows you to see events like birthdays, invitations, and stock. You can also have a quick look at tomorrow’s events.
- Almost all apps have a white background, except the Stock app and the Weather app. The latter app has a motion background to keep you updated with the current weather, and the Stock app has a black background.
- The keyboard in the new iOS is a more whitish and a bit translucent, allowing you to see what is beneath it.
New Features in iOS 7:
Apple has added the following new features to iOS 7:
- Now you can access your control center by pulling up the tray that is available in your lock screen.
- By using this feature, you can adjust brightness, volume, Wifi, Bluetooth, location lock, or enable Airplane mode easily.
- The control center also offers you a flash light, and an easy access to apps like music, camera etc.
- The control center also has a translucent panel, reflecting the color of whatever the background is.
- You can easily do multitasking with iOS 7, and consume battery in a much better way.
- Enter in multitasking mode by tapping twice on the home button. The interface of multitasking is also changed, and it offers a live preview.
- Safari will open in full screen mode in the new iOS. If you want to use search bar, you can pull it down from the top of the browser.
- Apple has improved the search field. Now you can have an easy access to all of your favorite websites, by just a single tap.
- Tabs have given a completely new interface in Safari. There is no more limit to the number of tabs, as it was previously. If you do not want a tab anymore, just swipe it off.
- iCloud keychain from OS X Mavericks is integrated in the Safari of new iOS. It also offers the options of parental control.
- Now you can easily share sharesheets with people without NFC. You only have to tap on their name.
- This feature supports iPhone 5, 4th Generation iPads, and iPad Mini.
Camera and Photos:
- With iOS 7, you can easily switch between different types of cameras, like panorama and HDR. It would help you in taking photos quickly instead of playing with settings.
- Within the photos app, you can search a photo with the help of the date or location.
- Apple has also added photo filters, so you can easily edit your photos, to make them look more professional.
- You can share your photos to your friends and others with the help of AirDrop, iCloud photo sharing, and shared photo streams.
- By using iCloud photo-sharng, you can also share your videos with your loved ones.
- Apple has introduced new voice to Siri. You can opt for male voice or female voice, whichever you want. Along with English, French, and German some other languages are also included in Siri.
- The visual interface of Siri is also updated, and now you can see a sound wave along the bottom of the screen.
- In iOS 7, you can ask Siri to lower the brightness of the screen, or to turn the Bluetooth on.
- Apple has upgraded Siri, by letting it support Twitter and Wikipedia. Web search results are now shown directly from Bing.
iOS in the Car:
- This feature is dependent on Siri.
- It would put iOS screen on the screen of your car, and with the help of it you can search for directions, or listen to music, and much more.
- iOS 7 allows you to search for apps according to the location. For instance, if you are looking for French museum apps, you can search it by using the term Louvre.
- Now you don’t have to update your apps manually. The new App Store would do this itself in the background.
- Apple has introduced the most awaited iTunes Radio. It would give a different experience to all the 26 million title iTunes catalog.
- You can now see the list of all songs of each station by clicking on the option of history. By tapping on the Preview, or Purchase button, you would be directed to the iTunes store.
- You can also customize stations by using iTunes Radio. By clicking on a star, you would tell iOS that which type of music you like most.
- If you are using iTunes Match, you would not see any ads while using this feature. Other people would have to bear some text or audio ads.
- If anyone steals your iPhone, and tries to turn off “Find my iPhone”, he would not be able to turn your phone on again without your password for iCloud.
- You can also block messages and calls from other iPhone users.